ATVWILD.com

Go Back   ATVWILD > The Clubhouse > ATV Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar vBGarage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ATV Reviews Please submit a review of your machine here. We will catagorize these as they come in for future reference.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Got Wild??

Send a message via Yahoo to Wildman
Default Polaris Magnum Reviews:

King Ghidora
Mud Launcher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:51 pm

My Polaris Magnum 330 4X4 has been a fun if somewhat problematic machine. Highlights include a great ride and stable handling at any speed and great traction in all situations. Low points include some quality issues including most importantly an oil line that blew off the oil cooler spraying all my precious oil on the ground. Polaris has had a recall on earlier model Magnums but not on this model. Yet I had the problem on my '03. Very important - change the clamps on the oil cooler to a radiator type clamp. It costs about $2 to do and can save you thousands. An engine without oil is a dead engine. Plus there have been reports of injuries from hot oil being sprayed on people. Overall the oil cooler provides more than ample cooling power for the engine. I rode hard all summer on tight trails with no problems at all and I'm a pretty heavy guy.

Pros - Polaris drivetrain that includes on demand AWD which actually means ALL wheel drive. We're not talking 3wd. Ample power but not a hot rod. Great ride. Great handling. Strong low range. Adequate racks and weight capacity.

Cons - Some quality issues including the oil cooler line, a roll pin that fell out, a ball joint problem and a cv joint that was my fault (check the boots often - important), poor engine braking setup for descending hills.

Bottom line - A capable and comfortable ride. Well worth the price of admission. No hot rod but enough power for all but the most extreme situations but not so much that a rookie rider will have problems i.e. it won't lift the front end at all so no worries about it coming back on top of you unless you are climbing a very steep hill. A great ride for a beginner. A great ride for someone who needs a work machine. Not the best ground clearnace and not the best power. Think bigger engine class if you want those things.

Special info you might need to know - to get grease in that pesky zerk on the rear drive shaft put a jack just in front of the the swing arm and raise it up allowing the swing arm to drop down until you can get a good angle for getting a grease gun on the zerk. That's the only way it can be done.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Nearly Pinned

As an update another special problem has popped up. The rear drives shaft passes through a "box' created by the two arms of the rear swingarm and two steel plates between them. Mud can build up inside this "box". It can work into the splines where the rear drive shaft meet the pinion in the rear dif.

So keep a close eye on mud building up here. Keep it cleaned out which isn't really easy. There's a 3 inch hole underneath the box to have access to the joint.

I'm thinking of putting in a grease fitting for this joint. There should hve been one stock.
2000 lb Superwinch
Polaris '48 Plow
2000 Kawasaki Bayou 220 (red)