ATVWILD.com

Go Back   ATVWILD > Wild Rides! > Honda
Register FAQ Members List Calendar vBGarage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Honda foreman 450 Carb flooding

I rebuilt the carb on the foreman and it has been working fine. Now it seem to be leaking fuel out the overflow tube.. I took it apart and its still clean and the float seems to be working fine,. Wanting to try and see if anyone has a lead on a used carb for this 450.. Its a 99 model
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Mud Launcher

Did you replace the needle seat?

Or is it one of those with the needle having a rubber tip?

If the latter is true and you replaced the needle(w/rubber tip)...Im at a loss. If the former is true and you only replaced the needle...then seems like another tear down is in order to replace the seat.

Maybe the float is just slightly out of adjustment. I "think" on most carbs...the height tab should be level with the pin. Like I said...on "most" carbs I "think" its that way. I usually have to just "tinker" with that adjustment till its right.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Administrator

the complete needle was replaced and it was working just fine for awhile.. I am thinking that since the rebuild kit did not include the float that its possible that the float might have a hole in it..
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Mud Launcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilli View Post
the complete needle was replaced and it was working just fine for awhile.. I am thinking that since the rebuild kit did not include the float that its possible that the float might have a hole in it..
That...or there could have been some "grit" you missed during the rebuild and its worked its way up to the seat...not letting the seat do its job.

Ive not worked on a whole lot of carbs...but Ive never had a float be bad. Sometimes the floats made out of synthetic material will get saturated with fuel and not function properly after that happens.

i guess there is always a chance of poor soldering on brass floats that could let fuel inside too.

Im still thinking your issue is in the seat area or improper float adjustment (because of saturated float).
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 PM
NO ONE MESSES WITH THE DOO!!

Location: Coldwater, ON Canada (border of the arctic circle )
Send a message via AIM to Scubasteve Send a message via Yahoo to Scubasteve

so the needle and the seat was replaced?

i would check the float height but since it was good for awile and then started leaking i would go with crap and corruption in there.

The fuel these days turn into snot so fast its unbelievable. I use fuel stabilizer in every can of fuel i buy no matter where i am going to be running it.
Only thing i don't use it in is my truck, only because its only in there for a few days.

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
Maxxis 4X4 rims and 25" bighorns,THEY ROCK!
Custom box with integral fuel tank for an extra 15 liters of fuel plumbed right into the main tank.
2 1/2 inch handle bar risers
Ricochet Skid Plates From Stem to Stern
DYNA CDI Ignition box
Onboard compressor and horn
MOOSE Hand Guards

One lunatic driver on the throttle!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Carb was completely rebuilt except for the float which was a seperate item.. I am going to pull it this weekend and check it again since it will be warmer.. Hope to get this back up and running the way that it was
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Ok I have a carb from a foreman 500.. Will that work on the 450... Not sure but it looks pretty close..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Mud Launcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilli View Post
Carb was completely rebuilt except for the float which was a seperate item.. I am going to pull it this weekend and check it again since it will be warmer.. Hope to get this back up and running the way that it was
I didn't read the whole thread, but if the float doesn't have a hole in it, the little tab that holds the float isn't bent, the plunger on the bottom end of the float seat isn't stuck in, and the rubber on the seat plug is good, then I don't know what else it could be...

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Thanks Lug. The float is correct and doesn't have any holes since it is brand new. The primer pump at the bottom of the bowl broke off and is not coming out and I have a carb for the 500 and thinking about replacing that one.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 AM
I ride Blackie

Man Robert, you have all kinds of carb troubles! Take all those old quads, sell them or trade them in, and get 2 new ones with efi and eps! Pretend your Jerry!

e-ton 90 (Zach's)

I am not perfect, but I am forgiven. Are you?

There are no atheiests in hell